- "I'm terrified I'm gonna get kicked out. I need this place, and I never had friends or parents who under-"
"Look, my parents are useless, crazy people who never taught me a drop of magic, okay? So, if you think that my family is some sort of advantage, you've been misinformed."
- —Quentin Coldwater and Alice Quinn[src]
Alice Quinn was born in 1993 to Daniel and Stephanie Quinn in Chicago, Illinois. Alice was raised with her older brother Charlie Quinn, who she would grow close to due to their eccentric nature of their parents. As a child, Alice would feel bad, Charlie would sing to her with songs from The Breakfast Club, and at one point, he taught Alice how to make a glass horse from a glass marble. When Charlie left to attend Brakebills University, he gave Alice her own set of the Fillory and Further novels.
In 2014, Alice received a pink diary from Santa Claus, believing it to be from her parents, who believed it to be from Charlie. Alice had a difficult adolescence, as she struggled with fitting in with others and her mother began to resent her due to never being able to understand Alice.
Sneaking onto Campus
- "Alice, students leave every year, and I don't go searching for every lost lamb."
"You didn't invite me. I had to sneak in just to take the entrance exam."
"I made a mistake. I felt responsible for what happened to your brother, and I didn't want to cause your family another loss."
- —Alice Quinn and Dean Fogg[src]
In 2016, two years after her brother was transformed into a Niffin, Alice, unaware of what happened, left her parent's house and searched for Brakebills University. Dean Henry Fogg didn't invite Alice to attend the school due to her brother's demise, so she was forced to rely on her knowledge of the school as well as her own magical ability to find the campus. After camping out in the woods surrounding the school for a few days, Alice eventually found the border of the wards surrounding Brakebill's campus, where she was met by a surprised Professor Van der Weghe. Bringing her to the Dean's office, Alice was allowed to take the Entrance Exam and was admitted to Brakebills.
Searching for Answers
To be added
Alice is a quiet girl when Quentin Coldwater first meets her and is shy around others. She begins to open up to others as she tries to find out what happened to her brother Charlie. On occasion, her indifferent facade breaks and she is easily capable of being mad, such as when Quentin Coldwater cheated on her by having an emotion-induced threesome with Margo Hanson and Eliot or when the possibility of bringing back her brother was gone. Like her brother, she can be reckless about using dangerous magic and when she's uncomfortable, she tends to isolate herself.
As a Niffin, due to lacking her Shade and thus her sense of morality and empathy, Alice was much more devious and deadly, as well as knowledgeable about the complex laws of magic. Due to this, she made significant rivals.
When restored as human, Alice displayed a hatred of her humanity since she enjoyed being a Niffin. She also had frustration with her weakened powers and human needs. Sometime after magic vanished, however, she seems to have made peace with her new life and has returned to Brakebills.
Alice has an obsession with remembering all of the things that came to her while being a Niffin, even seeking the help of the library to help restore the information that has "falling out of her head" since becoming human in order to complete the book she has started on a Grand Unified Theory of Magic.
Magic and Abilities
Magician: Descending from a prestigious family of Magicians, Quinn is one of the most powerful students in her class. Known to be studious, she possesses knowledge of a variety of magical fields and praxis, making her magic stronger than any other. Quinn has admitted that she holds herself back and doesn't fully know her limits, and is exceptionally powerful whenever using the full extent of her power. After being restored to a human, Quinn retained her knowledge that she obtained while she was a Niffin, though she was not powerful enough to perform spells, referred to by Mischa Mayakovsky as an infant concerning her magical ability. Zelda Schiff has stated that Quinn has the potential to be greater than Mischa Mayakovsky, the most powerful Magician on Earth.
- Wellspring Magic Manipulation: Quinn was able to shape and manipulate the energy of the Wellspring to cast spells by writing specific formations with his hands, forming phosphorescent constructs of energy.
- Phosphomancy: Quinn's Discipline is Phosphormancy, allowing her to manipulate photons, granting her various abilities. Quinn can bend light around herself and others, rendering them unseen to others. She first used this power to demonstrate her Discipline to Quentin Coldwater, turning her hand invisible and later used this during the Chase in the Neitherlands to hide from the Neitherlanders. During her escape from the Library of the Neitherlands, Quinn used this hide herself and Santa Claus from the Librarians.
- Battle Magic: While preparing to face The Beast, Alice learned to cast [[[Battle Magic|battle magic]] spells to battle against the mutant Magician. Initially, she required an emotion-suppressing technique to cast the spells, though she later trained in discipline to no longer require it. While her magical ability was increased by Ember's essence, Quinn was able to cast the Rhinemann Ultra to severely wound the Beast during the Duel at the Wellspring. She later used several Magic Missiles to throw the mutant Magician back several feet, as well as conjure a shield to protect herself from his attacks.
- Mind Control: Alice first learned this ability while at Brakebills South where she and Quentin Coldwater controlled flies. She later controlled a beetle while trapped in the Library. While controlling the beetle, she essentially possessed it which enabled her to see what the beetle was seeing while still in her cell.
- Divine Empowerment: After drinking Ember's essence, Quinn's magical ability was temporarily enhanced to that of a Master Magician. She was able to wield the Leo Blade, as well as grow a tree from a seed in seconds. Notably, Quinn was able to perform the Rhinemann Ultra to critically wound The Beast.
- Resurrection: After The Beast attacked her and her friends at the Wellspring, Quinn was able to heal from her wounds and revive the others with a simple touch.
- Nature Manipulation: Quinn was able to grow an apple tree to full maturity from a seed in seconds.
- Niffin Physiology: During the Duel at the Wellspring, Quinn lost control of a spell and was transformed into a Niffin, granting her various magical abilities and increased intelligence. As a Niffin, Quinn was powerful enough to quickly subdue and kill the Beast and later was able to deduce the combination to a vault door in 15 seconds. Following Quentin Coldwater's reversal of her transformation, Quinn retained her knowledge as a Niffin and filled multiple journals with what she learned before her human mind could forget.
- Flight: Quinn could transform into pure energy to fly at great speeds, visibly appearing as a blazing comet streaking through the sky.
- Interdimensional Travel: Quinn was able to travel across different dimensions of the Multiverse. During her search for higher knowledge, Quinn visited the Mirror Realm to experiment with the dimension's properties.
- Genius-Level Intellect: Quinn received a Bachelor's in Physics and World Religions, a Masters Degree in Philosophy, and has several applications pending for various Ph.D. programs in Physics.
- The role of Alice was originally set to be portrayed by Sosie Bacon before she was replaced by Olivia Taylor Dudley.
- Alice technically started out as a hedge witch, as her magic was self-taught before she reached Brakebills.
- ↑ [www.brakebillsu.com/students/alice-quinn Alice's profile on BrakebillsU]
- ↑ The Magicians: 4.01: A Flock of Lost Birds (episode)
- ↑ Deadline - Jason Ralph & Sosie Bacon To Star In ‘The Magicians’ On Syfy