Fighting in the American Civil War
Bigby has lived for over 500 years, during which she once slept with a god, with the experience leaving her glowing for weeks.
Bigby also fought in numerous wars in her life, notably winning the Battle of Gettysburg for the Union during the American Civil War.
Teaching at Brakebills
Bigby had worked at Brakebills University as an instructor of Battle Magic for the students for over a century, from the 1870s to 1979, when the school board outlawed the subject and terminated her employment. Prior to leaving, Bigby insisted that students would one day need battle magic again, and left a series of clues on how to locate her hidden in the library.
Helping Alice Quinn
In 2017, Bigby was located by Henry Fogg, Alice Quinn, and Quentin Coldwater to obtain the Rhinemann Ultra to defeat The Beast. After Quinn and Coldwater convinced her to give them the spell, Bigby instructed Quinn on how to perform the spell, insisting that she kill The Beast quickly, as her enhanced power was waning fast.
Bigby is described by Henry Fogg as brilliant, impatient, stubborn, and mercurial, with a penchant for treating Humans as toys for her own schemes.
Magic and Abilities
- Pixie Physiology: Bigby is a member of the Pixies, a humanoid race, with differentiating features such as pointed ears and a long lifespan. She is able to retain her magical abilities independent of the Wellspring, and was unaffected when the Old Gods shut off the source of magic for the universe.
- Gifted Intelligence: As a Pixie, Bibgy has a natural penchant for riddles and mind games, and is said to be incredibly intelligent and mercurial, making her a great tactician. She was able to predict that students at Brakebills would need battle magic again after it was outlawed by the school, and created a series of elaborate puzzles for Henry Fogg to find her.
- Skilled Combatant: Having lived for centuries, Bigby has become highly proficient in battle magic, having taught the course at Brakebills University before it was outlawed. She was able to use the Rhinemann Ultra to win the Battle of Gettysburg for the Union during the American Civil War, and later taught the spell to Rupert Chatwin and Alice Quinn to use during the Battle of the Bulge and against The Beast, respectively.
- In The Magicians, Bigby is a portly male Pixie and the faculty advisor for the Physical Magic students.
- Bigby's name is a reference to a wizard from Dungeons and Dragons' Greyhawk setting. Several spells in the D&D Player's Handbook also bear Bigby's name, such as "Bigby's Grasping Hand" and "Bigby's Crushing Fist", among others.
|Appearances for Bigby|
In chronological order: