Eliot Waugh is a talented Magician and the former High King of Fillory. Raised by a family of conservative farmers, Waugh grew up in rural Indiana, where he was tormented due to his sexuality and discovered his magical abilities when he accidentally killed his high school bully by using telekinesis. After moving away from his family, Waugh was invited to attend Brakebills University of Magical Pedagogy, where he and Margo Hanson met and became best friends. He was possessed by the Nameless for several months following the restoration of magic, but was freed from the Monster's possession after Margo obtained her axes.
This section needs a rewrite
Eliot was born in 1992 in Whiteland, Indiana to a family of farmers. He was the youngest of his brothers and was raised by a violently homophobic father.
Discovering His Abilities
- "I killed someone."
"I was 14. He was this-- He beat me up. So I'm walking on the street eating a candy bar, 'cause by then I already ate my feelings at a professional level, and I saw him crossing over. And there was this bus coming. I barely thought the thought."
- —Eliot Waugh and Quentin Coldwater[src]
When Eliot was 14, he discovered his magical abilities when he telekinetically pushed Logan Kinear, a bully at his school, into the path of a school bus. The act caused his nose to bleed, and he was later comforted by his best friend Taylor.
- "Hating myself for who I am is one thing, but... to hurt somebody else..."
- —Eliot Waugh[src]
Two years later, Eliot and a group of students assaulted Taylor in the school's gymnasium, calling him homophobic slurs. As their gym teacher broke up the attack, Eliot continued to kick Taylor before being escorted away. Eliot later recalled the memory as one of his deepest regrets, as he hated taking his own self-loathing out on someone else.
Eliot later attended SUNY Purchase in New York, where he graduated with a Major in "The Most Liberal Arts". In 2014, Eliot was invited to take the Entrance Exam for Brakebills University, where he was accepted and joined the house of Physical Magic. During The Trials, he met Margo Hanson, who became his partner for the Trials, and the two developed a strong bond.
Since his assignment to Physical Magic, the entire discipline was noted to have seen a drop in GPA and an increase in alcohol-related incidents. The staff considered isolation for Waugh but decided that he would find it to be a challenge, and it would be best for him to remain among the general public.
Meeting Quentin Coldwater
To be added
Conflict with The Beast
To be added
This section needs a rewrite
Initially, Eliot is nothing more than a hedonist. He enjoys alcohol, parties, drama, and mischief. However, Eliot has a darker aspect of his personality as he uses this "raver" persona to cover his own feelings of vulnerability and self-hatred that was instilled in him by his homophobic father. Eliot is not quick to become close to others but when he finds someone he trusts then Eliot cares for them extremely deeply. This dedication is visible in Eliot's love and loyalty towards Margo. Even when Margo was a dark horse in the Fillorian Election, Eliot held no grudge towards her and was the second person to profess his loyalty to her. Even in romantic relationships, Eliot is extremely caring. Eliot's relationship with Mike McCormick displayed this as Eliot was even rejected an invitation to travel to a party to stay with Mike. Additionally, after Eliot was forced to kill Mike, Eliot's grief was only a testament to how much Eliot loved him.
Though Eliot always composes himself in a nonchalant, confident and serene way, Eliot's mannerisms are decidedly theatrical and compound his own natural affinity for the performative. He is witty and quick to insult, prod or ridicule, but he can understand the depth and severity of issues. Though Eliot prefers to act pragmatically and logically rather than emotionally, he also has a self-sacrificial streak. On the other hand, Eliot is also susceptible to dependency. After his relationship with Mike brutally ended, Eliot threw himself into a downward spiral that was characterized by substance abuse, whether alcoholic or drug. Despite Eliot's inability to deal with his grief in a healthy way, he has a vast amount of emotional intelligence and empathy. He was the one that was able to coax Julia Wicker out of her self-imposed isolation after she was horrifically assaulted by Reynard the Fox. He was able to understand how she felt and convince her that a proactive methodology is better than passively suffering.
Magic and Abilities
- Magician: Eliot is a classically trained magician from Brakebills, as well as a Physical disciple. Eliot also seems to have an in-depth understanding of many magical spells and possesses a high aptitude for performing them, making him slightly above average in power at Brakebills University.
- Telekinesis: As one of the Physical Kids, Eliot is known to possess telekinesis, which first manifested for him when he accidentally killed his high school bully.
- Battle Magic: Due to the looming threat of The Beast, Eliot, Penny, and the rest of the Physical Kids taught themselves rudimentary Battle Magic with a little help from Kady. As Battle Magic requires years to master, the group took the shortcut to quicken the process by suppressing their emotions in magical flasks. After becoming more affiliated with Battle Magic, Eliot no longer needed to bottle up his emotions, as shown when battling with King Idri of Loria, enchanting his sword to imbue him with the skill of a master sword fighter.
- Gifted Intellect: Eliot is able to grasp the full comprehension of magical theory as taught at Brakebills. As is the standard for all Magicians, Eliot possesses an at least Above Average level of intelligence that enables him to utilize the concept of magic and apply it in the physical world.
- Multilingual: Eliot, as well as every other Magician, is able to speak and read in a multitude of languages, as it is a basic requirement for spellcasting.
- Skilled Leader: Eliot, as the High King of Fillory, is a natural leader, although he struggled during the beginning of his reign due to not wanting to grow up and feeling that his place was on Earth. However, he ultimately found meaning in assuming the crown and took responsibility for Fillory as a kingdom. His skills as a ruler developed slowly, but he was able to great achievements as solving agricultural flaws, evading a war, and better communication with Loria. Eliot tends to be more impulsive and irrational in decision-making than his fellow High Queen Margo which becomes a disadvantage.
- Skilled Swordsman: Eliot, with the help of a spell and sword created by Fen's grandfather, was able to battle Idri, the king of Loria, a swordsman well known for winning and successfully killing 14 duelists. In time, he became more adept at it without invoking Ember and Umber's power, as noted by what he says to Idri while attempting to save Fillory.
- Mixologist: Eliot is known for brewing the best cocktails at Brakebills University, a skill that became useful when he and Margo created a potion to summon a Djinn, albeit inadvertently.
- Flask: Eliot carries a flask enchanted to never go empty on his person at all times.
- Sword: To be added
- Glock 17: Eliot used this gun, loaded with a god-killing bullet, to shoot the Nameless in an attempt to save Quentin Coldwater from being trapped in Castle Blackspire.
- Eliot is the only person shown to have two volumes of Life Books.