Hedge Witches, or Hedges for short, are magicians who practice magic without having a formal education in a Magical school. They partially consists of magicians who have been expelled or did not make the cut at Brakebills University's entrance exam.
Hedges practice self-taught magic known as hedge magic. To the uninitiated, real spells and magical knowledge is hard to come by, thus, they scour the internet to find experimental or homemade spells that are not particularity strong or well made. This can also be dangerous, thus, Hedges tend to find each other to form safehouses where they teach and share magical knowledge.
Hedge Witches are out in the real world, piecing together scraps of spells gleaned from hours spent scouring the internet, stealing from each other or doing unmentionable favors for unscrupulous Magicians. Because of this, Hedge Witches are generally looked down upon by classically trained Magicians. They operate out of so-called Safehouses and focus on collecting spells and gaining a higher star level.
Hedge Witches are competitive, which hinders their growth; two safehouses 5 miles apart don't share spells. Becoming an actual functioning Magician in the seedy world of DIY magic is highly unlikely, and genuinely skilled Hedge-witches are few and far between.
To be added
Some Hedge Witches learn magic together in safehouses. Knowledge of magic is ranked with small blue seven-pointed stars, some with numbers inside them. The more stars, or higher the numbers, the higher the rank.
Entering safehouses requires showing your stars or passing the test if you do not have stars yet. You only get 3 tries to pass the test and must wait a month before you can retake it.
- Level 1 - First Flash - a relatively simple spell, in practice, that creates a quick burst of light to appear between the caster's fingers
- Level 14 - Simple Pyrokinetic spell
- Level 41 - Ancient Slavic Pyrokinetic spell - and advancement in technique from Level 12
- Level 44 - Enveloping Warmth
- Level 56 - Harder crystals
- Level 72 - Doors locking
- Level 112 - Kinetic elements
- Level 166 - Levitation
- Level 250 - Successfully revert Entropic forces. Highest level a Hedge Magician can reach.