Comfortable in his position of power as head of Brakebills University, Dean Henry Fogg is challenged when his students return from Fillory with an experience he has no expertise in. In order to help them save the existence of magic and kill The Beast, he must call on a former love interest – taking his students by complete surprise. With a great deal of knowledge and abilities, Dean Fogg does everything he can to provide his students with the tools they need to succeed in this crucial quest. Now that Magic is back, but in the control of the Library, Dean Fogg must do what he can to keep them safe from the Library as well as the Monster hunting them.
Henry Fogg has always been self-sufficient - so much so that he effectively taught himself to perform magic at the age of four. In his later years, he attended Brakebills, where he was sorted into the Knowledge discipline. Upon completing his studies, Fogg became an Alumni, receiving a key should he ever wish to visit the school's campus. However, afterward, Fogg was approached for the possibility of becoming the school's Dean, to which he accepted.
During her crusade to stop her brother, Martin, Jane Chatwin approached Henry to request his help, recruiting a small band of students in hopes that they'd be the ones strong enough to defeat The Beast. During this time, Jane made a number of alterations to reality by using Horomancy to reset the timeline when the students failed - often resulting in their deaths.
Fogg himself remembers all of these timelines, as he is powerful enough to perceive them, but not powerful enough to change them. He remembers all 39 (incluidng the current timeline, being timeline 40). That being said, this is most likely atrriubatable to the fact that he is a Master Magician in his own right.
To be added
Henry Fogg is an efficient man who knows how to intervene in the direst situations, although some of his opponents describe him as cowardly or selfish. Dean Fogg is a man who takes into account the preservation of his students, although he doesn't think twice to punish them severely when they commit serious errors.
Magic and Abilities
Master Magician: Henry Fogg is a master magician, who excels as a Knowledge disciple. Fogg has the knowledge and skill of a formidable magician, accumulating over the years to grant him the power of a Master Magician and earning him the right to serve as the school's Dean of Brakebills. As a matter of fact, he taught himself magic at the age of 4. He retains great insight into the magical mishaps of his students and is often sought out for help by many skilled magicians. Professor Mischa Mayakovsky, however, looks down upon Fogg, due to his reputation for being cowardly and selfish. However, Dean Fogg was notably able to spar one on one with The Beast, albeit only briefly. As a tribute to his power, he was shown as being unaffected by the Beast's paralyzing spell over an entire class during its appearance and is able to retain his memories from previous timelines, with only The Beast itself being able to do the same.
- Wellspring Magic Manipulation: Fogg is able to shape and manipulate the energy of the Wellspring to cast spells by writing specific formations with his hands, forming phosphorescent constructs of energy.
- Temporal Awareness: Fogg is able to perceive alterations to the timeline, as he was capable of discerning the differences between the alternate timelines created by Jane Chatwin.
- Battle Magic: Fogg was able to fire a blast of magical energy at the Beast during the Attack on Brakebills. He later incapacitated several Librarians during the Attack on the Library of the Neitherlands, though he was ultimately apprehended.
- Invisibility: In order to attract the attention of the Order of the Library of the Neitherlands, Fogg used a prohibited spell to render himself invisible during a class.
- Gifted Intellect: Henry is able to grasp the full comprehension of magical theory as taught at Brakebills. As is the standard for all Magicians, he possesses at least an Above Average level of intelligence that enables him to utilize the concept of magic and apply it in the physical world. His intelligence allows him to perform the meta-mathematics involved in spellcasting to allow him to innately know the Circumstances surrounding his castings.
- Multilingual: Fogg, like all magicians, he can also speak and read in a multitude of languages, including currently dead or archaic ones, such as Old High Dutch, Latin, Old Arabic, and much more taught in the Brakebills curriculum..
- Experienced Educator & Administrator: As Dean of Brakebills, he is entrusted with the safety of his students from external forces and internal mishaps attributed to young magicians. As such, he personally oversees the abilities of potential Brakebills' students during their Entrance Exam and was undaunted at the task of facing The Beast. He is able to anticipate and adeptly counter all attempts of bureaucratic obstacles laid out by the Order of the Library while bargaining for more magical power for Brakebills.
- Whilst in the novels Henry Fogg is described as a portly, blond, Caucasian man, in the TV series he is a bald man of African descent.
- Henry Fogg may have started out as a hedge witch, as he said that he taught himself magic when he was 4.