- "You may address me as Reynard the Fox. Trickster of the faithful, the pure of heart – the very stupid."
- —Reynard the Fox[src]
Reynard the Fox is the son of Persephone and a former Trickster god. In the years following Persephone's disappearance from Earth, Reynard grew to resent his mother for abandoning him, causing him to target her followers in retaliation.
Reynard was created by the Old God Persephone thousands of years ago. When Persephone and the other Old Gods disappeared, Reynard felt that Persephone abandoned him and began targeting the Magicians that prayed to his mother.
Rampage on the East Coast
During the 1980s, Reynard's crusade against Persephone's followers brought him to the United States of America, where he would slaughter hedge witches along the Eastern coast.
Banishment from Earth
To be added
Return to Earth
Assassination of Free Trader Beowulf
To be added
Search for John Gaines
To be added
- "You looked me up, says trickster. See, that's honest. Yes, I fuck with the weak. You know what that does? Improves the herd."
- —Reynard the Fox[src]
Reynard the Fox is a conniving and deceitful god who delights in causing mayhem. He's sneaky and violent, capable of doing heinous actions without remorse. He has been shown to have an appetite for human flesh, a trait he relishes. He is filled with immense anger towards mortals that revere 'Our Lady Underground', his mother the goddess Persephone, and due to the love he once had for her and the pain from her abandonment of him, he believes that he is 'teaching' mortals worshiping her.
Magic and Abilities
Given his nature as a trickster, Reynard is a master of disguises and transformations of all sorts. His magical abilities were very advanced, allowing him to be almost omnipotent. Like other gods, Reynard is able to bestow upon a magician a boost of magic via absorption of his Essence, making them as powerful as a Master Magician. However, his divinity doesn't mean he is invincible, as he is able to be banished or killed by powerful spells, as well as other gods. Also, he is shown to be susceptible to The Beast's Paralysis spell, though he was fighting against the spell, and eventually would've broken free.
- Divine Physiology: As a Deity, Reynard possessed an unfathomable degree of physical and magical ability. He has since lost his divine magic as a result of his mother transferring his spark to Julia Wicker. By his own a admission, he is still a god, albeit a powerless one, that still requires extreme means to be killed.
- Divine Magician: Reynard has shown to be above the capability of even Master Magicians, able to execute magic with slight movements. Reynard uses his magic as a natural extension of himself, able to inflict harm on others and invade and control humans minds. As a Trickster god, this usually manifests as a sadistic game of cat-and-mouse with the victim of his choosing, though he notably uses his magic for minor tasks, such as restraining and cornering his prey, while he maims them physically. He's capable of slaughtering a group of people in a matter of seconds and is currently inhabiting the body of Richard Corrigan, having killed him and devoured his heart. The limits of his abilities are not yet known, if there are any.
- Magic Augmentation: Reynard is able to boost a Magician's magic for a limited time to a level equal to Master Magicians.
- Possession: After killing Richard Corrigan, Reynard was able to possess his body to use as a vessel.
- Shapeshifting: Reynard could assume the form of others, such as when he appeared as Persephone to fool Julia Wicker.
- Invisibility: Reynard was able to conceal his presence from mortals, notably doing so to follow Marina Andrieski, revealing himself after she sealed her apartment from the inside with protective wards.
- Mind Control: Reynard was easily able to project his thoughts into the minds of others and overpower their will, able to dismiss John Gaines' campaign party from Gaines' office with a single command.
- Enhanced Senses: Reynard was able to detect and intercept the prayers to Persephone, whom he masqueraded as to kill her followers. After Julia and Kady unmasked the presence of Dana, Reynard was able to quickly pick up her location. He could sense Quentin Coldwater hiding behind a tree while confronting Julia, and later was able to locate his son within the protective wards of Brakebills. Reynard can sense the inner workings of a human soul, as he was able to tell that Julia's Shade was missing, as well as detect the presence of Alice Quinn within the trap on Quentin's back. This sense can be fooled, however, as he was unable to deduce the false arrival of Persephone as a trap.
- Gifted Intelligence: Reynard is extremely cunning, to the point that, Martin Chatwin suggested to Julia to change her tactic for summoning Our Lady Underground, as he deduced that Reynard would recognize the workings of the ritual as being the same as the one performed by Free Trader Beowulf, and wouldn't fall for their trap. Reynard was able to utilize Martin Chatwin's paralysis technique on others after having it performed on him. He often uses his intelligence to fool mortals, ultimately to their demise.
- Leo Blade: Reynard obtained the Leo Blade after Julia Wicker dropped it in Marina Andrieski's Apartment during her assassination attempt.
- Dana † - Rape Victim
- Free Trader Beowulf
- Marina Andrieski † - Victim
- Martin Chatwin †
- Reynard The Fox is a legendary character found in a famous cycle of tales in Dutch, German, English and French during the medieval period, known for his cunning and for being one of the most important literary examples of the "trickster" archetype. In modern literature he is primarily known for being used in anti-Semitic propaganda, contributing to create a negative reputation to the character.
|Appearances for Reynard the Fox|
In chronological order: