- "Yeah, and there were, like, creatures or something."
"Questing Creature-- if you catch one, they're forced to grant you a wish. There's seven of them."
- —The Writing Room
The Unique Beasts, also known as Questing Creatures, of Fillory are 12 rare and powerful creatures that each have their own special abilities.
Questing Creatures are 7 magical creatures created by Ember and Umber. They grant any wish to whoever is able to capture/corner them, though they cannot cross the boundary between life and death. Questing Creatures are required to grant the one who caught them a wish, otherwise they cannot rest.
To be added
To be added
Known Unique Beasts
- The Questing Beast/Winter’s Doe: A white doe that grants three wishes to whoever captures it.
- Seeing Hare: A hare that can predict the future of whoever captures it
- Great Bird of Peace: A large, flightless cassowary-like bird that can stop fights with its presence.
- Unseen Monitor: A large lizard that can, if they wish, turn a person invisible for a year.
- Utter Newt: N/A
- Kind Wolf: N/A
- Parallel Beetle: N/A
- The White Lady: A white doe that grants three wishes to whoever captures it.
- The Great Cock: The White Lady’s brother. He can sense magical items across the worlds that would prove useful to whoever captures him.
- Lord Fresh: To be added
- Unique Dog: N/A
- Unique Rabbit: N/A
- Sixth Beast: N/A
- Seventh Beast: N/A
- In the manuscript of The Magicians, the sixth edition of Fillory and Further written by Jane Chatwin, she mentions capturing a Questing Creature in order to acquire the ability to enter Fillory freely. Penny, the only person to have read it, misremembers the creature to either be a dog, a pig or a ferret.
- It is now generally assumed that the animal was in fact the White Lady.