Zelda Schiff was born and raised her mother, a hedge witch, who later died when she was ten years old, leaving her an orphan. She used the drug Archie to travel to the Etheric Realm, where she lived for several years before returning to Earth.
Schiff was found living in an alley by Everett Rowe, who took her in and recruited her to join the Order of the Library of the Neitherlands, where she would become Head Librarian for the Governing Council. She later gave birth to her daughter, Harriet, and raised her on the Neitherlands until she was old enough to study at Brakebills University for Magical Pedagogy.
Working for the Order
To be added
Zelda puts her duty to the library above all else. She believes that serving the Library's mission is the most important and fulfilling duty that anyone can have, and is even willing to sacrifice her relationship with her daughter to prevent that mission from being jeopardized. However, she is also deeply compassionate, not wishing to hurt any Hedge Witches during the Library's pursuit of Alice and the stolen books. She regrets what she did to her daughter and tells her apparition in the Mirror World that she was afraid Harriet would hate her. A quirk of hers is walking around with her hands constantly raised at her sides, giving her a dainty appearance.
Magic and Abilities
- "Sometimes I forget you're a fucking Master Magician."
"I try to keep the showboating to a minimum."
- ―Kady Orloff-Diaz and Zelda Schiff
Master Magician: As the Head Librarian of the Library of the Neitherlands, and a member of the Governing Council, Zelda is a tremendously powerful and skilled Master Magician, possessing an extremely high level of mastery over magic.
- Magic Manipulation: Schiff is able to shape and manipulate the energy of the Wellspring to cast spells by writing specific formations with her hands, conjuring phosphorescent constructs of energy. Schiff demonstrated the ability to form shields out of powerful wards to protect herself and cordon off areas.
- Teleportation: Schiff was able to banish Eliot Waugh and his friends from the Library of the Neitherlands after Waugh damaged a book, and later summon Penny Adiyodi and Kady Orloff-Diaz to the Library from Earth.
- Fire Manipulation: Schiff used a spell to cause the entire collection of Books of Everyone to catch on fire in order to prevent the Visigoths from stealing them.
- Ice Manipulation: Using the Permafrost Spell, Schiff was able to freeze all of the Fountains in the Neitherlands to prevent the Beast's army from invading other worlds.
- Bilingual: Zelda speaks her native English, and is fluent in American Sign Language.
|Appearances for Zelda Schiff|
In chronological order: